Mats are often the unnoticed heroes of our homes and offices. Placed at the doorstep, taking away all the dirt, mud, debris and dust from entering your space, mats are at the frontline of keeping your home or workspace clean. So while a mat is subjected to numerous feet rubs and is always filled with dirt and dust to the deepest core, it is essential to invest in mat cleaning Box Hill on a regular basis to prevent damage.
Usually made with natural or synthetic, durable and high-performance materials, mats are made to last long. But due to constant use, friction as a result of footwear rubbing on it and the weather conditions, the mat can lose its ability and become less effective.
While professional mat cleaning Box Hill can restore a mat’s condition and structure, regular cleaning prolongs the mat’s life.
As much as regular cleaning is important, doing it right is crucial as well. While mats are made durable, the use of strong cleaning agents can weaken the fabric’s strength which eventually makes the mat loose its ability to prevent dirt and dust from entering into the living space.
At NY Carpet Cleaning Services Box Hill, we believe that home cleaning can increase the lifespan of the mat when done right. This blog spills the top 5 pro tips on how you can do expert mat cleaning Box Hill using everyday products.
Bonus: top 2 ways you can get professional upholstery cleaning like NY Upholstery cleaning services Melbourne!
Top 5 pro tips for mat cleaning Box Hill
#01: Everyday mat cleaning Box Hill need not be intense
Yes, you don’t have to be rigorous with your cleaning methods. Even if you are encountered with the need to undertake stain removal services Box Hill or do a steam carpet cleaning Melbourne task yourself. In fact, the use of rigorous cleaning can damage the mat every time you are subjecting it to the cleaning cycle.
Here’s what you can do instead of on a daily basis:
- Dust the mat off! Pull the mat over to a height and use a thick stick to beat the dust from it
- Consider vacuum cleaning as the cleaner can pull dust and debris even from the roots of the mat
- Avoid using liquid-based cleaners especially if the mat will be used immediately after cleaning
- If the mat has been drenched in rain or a flood, thoroughly machine wash it using baking powder or vinegar
- Clean your mats every alternate day
- If you see precipitation on the mat as a result of vigorous feet rubbing, it is best to act quickly to prevent dirt and debris from settling in
#02: Not all the strength in the bottle is meant for the mat!
Mats are made durable. But that does not mean you can use strong chemicals or products on a mat for cleaning purposes.
Repetitive exposure to strong and harsh chemicals can weaken fabric threads that make up the mat. A common element in such cleaning agents is a bleach that robs the mat of its strength and ability to withstand everyday rigorous use.
Here’s what to do when using chemicals for mat cleaning Box Hill:
- Dilute the chemical before use
- Perform sample test on a small portion of mat (preferably the part that is least exposed to everyday use and sunlight)
- Make sure the mat is not moist
- Follow instructions as directed on the bottle
Avoid products with the following chemicals for mat cleaning Box Hill:
- Monoethanolamine: Is linked with asthma
- Allergens: Can cause respiratory, eyes and skin irritation
- Ammonium quaternary compounds: Can cause harm to the reproductive system
- Galaxolide: Can cause hormone disruptions
- 1,4-dioxane: Can cause cancer
If using home remedies for mat cleaning Box Hill, AVOID these combinations:
- Bleach and vinegar
- Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar
- Bleach and ammonia
- Bleach and rubbing alcohol
#03: Got stains on your mat? Act quick!
Stain removal can get difficult if left untreated for long because as the stain-causing ingredient starts drying out, it starts to pigment the mat. While you can always avail NY Stain Removal services Box Hill, here’s what you can immediately do if stains strike:
- Use a damp cloth to wipe off the stain-causing element
- If the mat is lightweight, consider spot washing
- Use a medium or light strength bleach
- Spot clean using baking powder. Mix one tablespoon of baking powder in one tablespoon of water to make a paste. Rub this paste on the stained area and let it dry out. Once dried, scrape off excess paste and spot clean under running water
- Use warm water and vinegar mixture to spot clean
Consider NY steam carpet cleaning Melbourne if home remedies don’t work
#04: Soap and water – the powerful duo
If you are cleaning the mat as a prerequisite to professional carpet cleaning Services Box Hill, consider using soap and water solution. Such a solution is simple to make and doesn’t cause any harm to the fabric of the mat. Moreover, with thorough and detailed machine wash merely with soap and water, the excessive and loosely bounded dust and dirt get off making the process of cleaning including stain removal services, carpet cleaning services Box Hill and steam carpet cleaning Melbourne.
Bonus: Top 2 ways you can get professional upholstery cleaning like NY Upholstery cleaning services Melbourne!
#01: Read through the codes on the label!
Not everyone can invest in professional upholstery cleaning services Melbourne and companies realise this. That’s why each upholstery item comes with a label that tells what type of fabric has been used and how to clean it by yourself!
- S: Use the dry cleaner detergent only
- X: No water, only use a vacuum to clean
- W: Can be cleaned with water
- WS: Consider using a mild detergent with a steam vacuum or consider using a dry-cleaning detergent
#02: Upholstery are of different types which means, there are various types of upholstery cleaning methods
For fabric upholstery cleaning:
- Mix together ¼ cup of vinegar in ¾ cup of warm water
- Add 1 tablespoon of soap or dish soap to the mix
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle
Process: Spray the solution on the stain and use a soft piece of cloth to scrub the surface. Once a cycle of cleaning is over, use a moist piece of cloth to remove excess soap from the surface. To dry, use a clean, microfiber towel
For Leather Upholstery Cleaning:
- Add ½ cup of olive oil to ¼ cup of vinegar
- Mix the solution well and pour into a spray bottle
Process: Spray the olive oil-vinegar solution on the couch and wipe using a clean cloth (preferably cotton)
For synthetic upholstery cleaning:
- Mix ½ cup of vinegar into ½ tablespoon of liquid dishwashing solution into 1 cup of warm water
- Put the solution into a spray bottle for use
Process: Spray the solution on the target area and scrub using a soft, cotton cloth. Repeat till the stain disappears. Wipe the surface with a clean cloth to remove excess soap solution residual
At home or regular office cleaning is important as it adds life to the mat. If you are too busy or are unsatisfied with the results of regular cleaning, chances are your mat needs professional mat cleaning Box Hill.
NY Carpet Cleaning Services Box Hill offers a wide range of cleaning services that are the comfort of your living space!
Looking for mat cleaning Box Hill services?
Call NY Carpet Cleaning Services Box Hill today!